A Brief History of the ELS
The Evangelical Lutheran Synod was originally formed as the Norwegian Synod (1853). They joined the Synodical Conference in 1872 and enjoyed fellowship with the Wisconsin Synod and Missouri Synod. The present Evangelical Lutheran Synod began in 1917 when a merger of Norwegian Lutheran Churches caused many to compromise the pure teaching of God’s Word.
Since 1927 the ELS has operated Bethany Lutheran College in Mankato, MN. In 1946 it established its won theological seminary at Bethany. It carries on an active home mission program and has 133 congregations in the United States and missionaries serving in Peru, Chile, the Ukraine and Czech Republic.
Today the ELS is in fellowship with the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod and a member of the Confessional Evangelical Lutheran Conference (CELC).
Scriptural Evangelical Lutheran Church was formed in 1969 when members of a neighboring LC-MS congregation who sought to be faithful to God’s Word formed the congregation. The first service was held at Vandeven Hall in Cape Girardeau on March 9, 1969. On July 6, 1969 Rev. William Tabor was installed as the first resident pastor. The church moved to its present location onJune 18, 1970 using the newly constructed basement for services. The sanctuary was dedicated on June 18, 1978. The church cemetery was purchased in 1971 and the large cross was erected in 1972.